Donnerstag, 28. Oktober 2010

My grandma's cookbook - Das Kochbuch meiner Oma


 Recently I watched a movie called "Julie and Julia". I quite liked the movie. Even more so when I realized that the original video clips of this famous Julia Child who the movie was about still existed. And I noticed how very well Meryl Streep played this lady. The movie made me think about which cook book of all the 319 books I own (yes I do collect cook books) I use the most frequently. Here it is: 

A book given to me by my grandmother who had also given one to her daughter (my mum). So what I am trying to say is that the same book was and still is used by three generations of women. And it only has very few black and white photos. The original one I have is really shattered and the cover and some pages are missing (same thing with the one my mum has). But my mum being the investigative type found out that the book is still being printed and she bought me one (and herself too).
The new version is still printed exactly like the original. Not only does it contain recipes but also lots of information as to how you clean your house, do the washing properly and take care of husband and children. And those tips are the most amusing information in the book. Unfortunately for the English speaking readers - it is only printed in German. 

Information on how to feed and take care of your Childdren and home.

Vor kurzem sah ich "Julie and Julia", einen herrlichen Film über Julia Child, Fernsehköchin und Kochbuchautorin so um 1960. Er gefiel mir noch besser als ich herausfand, dass es immer noch Filmausschnitte von Julia Child im Internet gibt und dass Meryl Streep sie wirklich wunderbar gespielt hat. Auf Grund dieses Filmes überlegte ich mir, welches Kochbuch (der 319 Kochbücher in meinem Besitz, ja ich sammle Kochbücher) ich wohl am häufigsten verwende. Und hier ist es:

Kochbuch der Koch- und Haushaltungsschule:
Haushaltskunde und Kinderpflege
by Emma Wundt, Alice Rothmund and Mina Künzler

Dieses Buch bekam ich vor langer Zeit von meiner Großmutter, die auch meiner Mama eines gegeben hatte. Mit der Zeit wurden unsere Exemplare immer unansehnlicher durch den häufigen Gebrauch und so freute ich mich sehr, als meine Mutter das Buch als Neuauflage in einer Buchhandlung fand und natürlich gleich für uns beide erstand. Das Buch sieht immer noch ganz genauso aus wie unsere Originale. Die gleiche Schrift und Aufteilung. Es enthält nicht nur Rezepte sondern auch viele nützliche Hinweise zur Pflege von Haus und Familie. Und die sind besonders amüsent zu lesen.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Bonjour!
    I have seen the link to your blog on Ticklebear's one. I love the photos on your blog!

    As for the recipe book, we also have a reference book here in Canada. More precisely in the province of Québec. It is the Encyclopedia of Canadian Cooking written by Mrs Jéhane Benoît who obtained a diploma of food chemistry at la Sorbonne in the 20's!
    My mom used this book when I was a kid. She bought me one when I left home, and she also bought one to my brother as well when he left home! The one I have almost look now like the one on your first pictures!
    I like the idea of transmission from one generation to the other. Nice family tradition.

    ;¬)

    AntwortenLöschen